Monday, September 8, 2008

Trying my Mom's genes



I have this blank slate. And I have my landscape plan...my planting plan, my paths, beds, out buildings...many copies and revisions too. I have the plantings planned according to many factors, soil needs, sun aspect, water, trying to find a balance and harmony in regards to final plant height & size, foliage combinations, bloom color combinations, beneficial insect/repelent combinings (like allium in the rose bed discourages suckers like aphids.), plus who could deny the beauty of the purple pom pon floating over the deep red roses! I'm also trying to be good & pay close attention to the seasons changes, having some winter interest in each area for example. This all takes extreme patience... Rock placement, calculating plant locale based on viewing the beds from the house windows...leaving some prominent spaces empty for something spectacular that I will probably bring home in the near future...

I have a successful planting started I'm calling the rock garden. My mom directed & guided me in designing and planting this one last week. My gracious mom is seriously talented and she is on my team thank god. She has always had a knack for placement...staging accessories, setting a dinner centerpiece, arranging flowers. I study & copy, study & copy. Then, when feeling less patient, I act impulsively and am somewhat disenchanted with the results. Certainly, in comparison to the bed she helped me create. So as I continue to plant in her absence, I keep looking over at that stellar rock garden bed...remembering to be patient. Wondering if I should call her. Half hoping, when she visits next, that she won't judge my other beds too harshly lest I have to replant & labor too much, then again, I need her to help me make it gorgeous to look at...and so I keep trying.

No comments: