Monday, September 8, 2008

my gardens have begun!

Months of planning and patience are giving way to planting! After studying the backyard at different times of day for a week or so, I realized there is some nice shade after all, from some neighboring trees that line our fence. So I have a few areas to plant the shade lovers. Bleeding hearts, ferns, calla lilys, small japanese maples, and a cape blanco sedum that seems to create beautiful colors (chalky white over lavender & green) in the shade. I have one of the maples in the shade bed now...not sure of it's placement since it's size is somewhat wimpy...no offense, you lovely little red maple. I think it will grow tall...but no doubt very slowly...well, it is in the ground at least.

Yesterday I had to argue with a brown spider about who owned the terracotta pots. Neatly stacked by the fence in the shade, I had them earmarked for mint corralling. She had already moved in & set up shop when I came to call on them yesterday. I understood her position, myself being the proud occupant of a new home that has not yet closed. In the end, after spiderish tantrums of running around her room like a mad person that I had to stand back & respect (out of fear), I won...I was bigger, I guess. She has promised to trap & devour the bad bugs & I have promised not to murder her. peace.

I planted spearmint in the terracotta pots and nestled them into the herb garden soil. Instead of dreaming of mint juleps, I'm already worrying they will jump over the pot's edge & take over the entire garden including Jon's lovely lawn. In fact, I think I remember seeing a runner already jumping...In retrospect I don't know if this is my imagination...could a mint be that quick? It's been planted there only 2 days. I think, I better raise them out of the dirt at least half way...to force them to make a dramatic jump over the edge that I will not mistake, and be able to nip in the bud before they touch down. The garden at my last house was over run with mint, lemon balm and oregano...the lemon balm was the worst to contend with-I've developed a hate for it's smell, so weeding was a real chore. I have the best intentions to keep the mentha family runners out of my soil in my new garden...here's to trying. Do you think they might even find the tiny drainage hole at the bottom of the pot & sneak into the bed that way? I must get them or my mind under control, I think.

No comments: